Are you and your friends looking to play the Cheers To The Governor drinking game at your next happy hour?
Well, then you have come to the right place. At a recent gathering, we struck up a game and had an absolute blast playing this activity with our group.
So let’s start with the basics.
What is Cheers To The Governor?
Cheers To The Governor is a group drinking game that you play around a circle where each round becomes progressively more complex with each player having to remember more and more to maintain the round. Part memorization, part acting, and part drinking game — this party game is a great way to sit around with an engaged groups of friends and act silly together.
Cheers To The Governor Rules
1) Start by sitting around a circle with a drink in every participating player’s hand
2) To begin, the first person starts by saying “1” with the next player following in a clockwise rotation.
3) Each player yells out the next number in order from 1 to 21 making sure everyone can hear them
Rule #1 to remember! – When the person in the “7” spot they must say “14” with the next person saying “8” until the person who must say “14” must say “7” and the following player saying “15”
So the counting goes, “1,2,3,4,6,14,8,9,10,11,12,13,7,15,16,17,18,19,20,21″
4) Once the entire circle has gone through 1 through 21 without any mistakes, the person who says “21” will lead the entire group in a collective shout of “CHEERS TO THE GOVERNOR!”
5) If you mess up, the player who messed up must take a drink and then play will resume with the next person to their left beginning at the start with “1”
6) Once a successful round has been completed, the player with the “21” spot must add an additional rule to the game to replace one of the original numbers. For example, you could replace the number “4” with “name a cereal brand.”
7) The goal is to replace all of the numbers with rules and successfully play through all of them with no mess ups!
Cheers To the Governor Ideas (To Replace Numbers)
If you are looking for some ideas to replace the original numbers after completing a round, you are welcome to come up with something on the spot. Some times the best rules are the random ones that you think of in the moment. If you need some ideas to get you started you can check out this list:
- Yell someone’s name in the group
- High give yourself
- Grab your belly and say “[your name] hungy” in a baby voice
- Make an animal noise
- Compliment someone
- Insult someone
- Do a dance
- Yell out your favorite movie
- Salute the group
- Name a taco bell item
- Spin around in a circle
- Yell out your job title
- Say the number in a British accent
- Say the number in Spanish
If you are looking for more drinking games, you can check out some of Happy Hour Help’s favorites:
Cheers To the Governor Tips
1. Don’t forget to refill your drink! This game can get pretty silly so having a nice beverage can help make it even sillier
2. Try your best to pay attention so people are not constantly telling you it is your turn
3. During your first game as a group, you may want to avoid changing the numbers “6” and “13” since there is already a slightly confusing rule immediately following those two numbers.
We hope you enjoy playing Cheers To The Governor as much as we did. this drinking game allows you to be creative, silly, fun, all while enjoying some quality time with your friends. This is a great activity to play at a happy hour, pregame, before your party really gets going, or at a game night!