This drinking game is the adult version of the spelling bee. There you have it.
Just kidding! You know, that activity you probably got placed in somewhere between third and sixth grade.
Well, it is time to test your spelling knowledge while simultaneously drinking beer!
In this spelling bee drinking game guide, we will walk you through everything you need to get this activity going at your next pregame, party, dinner party, frat event, or really anywhere you have a beer in your hand.
Spelling Bee Drinking Game Materials
- List of spelling words sorted into a few categories of difficulty (Easy, Medium, Hard)
- A beer (or equivalent) for each person [with backups on deck if your friends are not particularly great spellers]
Spelling Bee Drinking Game Rules
This list of nine rules will help you and your competitors learn how to play a spelling bee drinking game. While you do not have to follow every step in this process, the goal is to set up and activity that is easy to run while keeping energy high!
1) Assemble your group of 4 – 20 people in the room
2) Instruct each participating player to grab a beer (that is why this game is also known as “Spelling Beer”) or some sort of drink for their hand
3) Nominate one person to act as the “judge” or moderator who will be administering the beer spelling bee.
4) The judge will proceed to give a word to a player to spell. They then move on to the next player after the first player goes.
5) If the speller gets it right, they must take a drink and will proceed to move on to the next round. If the player does not spell their assigned word correctly, they must chug their drink and are not eliminated.
6) After moving through 2 or 3 rounds (depending on how many players remain in the game) the moderator should move on to the medium-difficulty words. Then the harder words, and so on.
7) As each player drinks more and must spell increasingly harder words, eventually you will near the end when only two players remain.
8) Once one of the last two players remaining misses their next word, the last person must spell an additional word to be crowned the winner.
9) The last person standing is crowned the champion of Spelling Beer and everyone cheers!
Spelling Bee Drinking Game Words
These spelling bee drinking game words are designed to help get you started at your next adult spelling bee game. While we may know that spelling bees are for kids, getting adults to play a drunk spelling bee is a fun and unique way to get you and your friends together and show off your skills. It can encourage everyone to show just how much (or how little) they know about spelling.
Well, we hope you find this game fun and are able to crown the best speller of your group. If you have any comments about how this game went over at your last happy hour or party, feel free to let us know in the comments. Good luck!